Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Answers for Hastle at the Castle!

Dear Chad, Your question about if the castle was on a hill would it be easier for enimies to spot, well that is right and wrong. It is wrong beacuse good places to build castles are high, rockey ground also at isolated peninsulas and lake islands, but also you are correct enimies would see it if it was up high. Lastly Chad, castles have very tall walls so it is hard to attack. 1

Dear Michael, Your question why where they called motte and bailey castles, beacuse builders would find a hill the hill was called a motte. The village was called bailey. That is where they get motte and bailey castles. 2
This is a diagram of a motte and bailey castle. As you can see the castle is on the very top of the hill which is called the motte and the village is on land call bailey.
1 http://www.medieval-castles.net/castle_defenses/index.htm
2 http://usacastle.com/castle_education/motte-bailey-castle.htm
The picture I got here

5 comments:

  1. Ohhh now I get it thank you for answering my question

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you help me? I have to make a motte and bailey castle for history class, and I am having trouble making the keep, and the little stables. Do you recommend anything?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to make a motte and bailey castle for history too, but I dont realy know what to make it from exept cardboard - which I haven't got. Can you please help? thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Free boxes from the supermarket are a good start.

    ReplyDelete